Fannie Bay Gaol
Fannie Bay Gaol is an historic site. The gaol operated as Her Majesty's Gaol and Labour Prison, for almost 100 years.
Her Majesty's Gaol and Labour Prison was Darwin's main prison from 20 September 1883 until 1 September 1979. In 1979 prisoners were relocated to the correctional facility located in Berrimah.
Now an important historic site, Fannie Bay Gaol attracts thousands of visitors each year.
Male and female prisoners were held in separate buildings from 1928. The female prison block included a small garden designed to keep the prisoners busy. An infirmary was added in 1887, which contained gallows used up until the last executions held in the Northern Territory in 1952. A watch tower, "native section" for Aboriginal prisoners, kitchen mess building, remand section and two maximum security wings were added during the 1950s.